Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Small Quilt Category


Look Who's Walking


Inspired by the Lattice quilt ca. 1930 Haven Kansas from the book Amish Abstractions: Quilts from the Collection of Faith and Stephen Brown.  I made this quilt as an entry for a juried exhibit that our local MQG challenge is participating in next month called Amish: The Modern Muse.  Nine days start to finish was a whirlwind.


I love scrappy and graphic but have very little experience working in solids or straight line quilting, so it was indeed challenging. When I was quilting this we had record breaking heatwave and it was suffocatingly hot in my sewing room so I migrated out into the living room. 


Because I waited to the last minute to start and was down to the wire with the deadline, there are areas where the intersections don't quite meet up.  Although I wholeheartedly embrace the philosophy of Perfectly Imperfect, if I could turn back the clock I'd redo the joints that are distractingly misaligned.   I'll share a close up of where they did match and spare you the eyesore. Changing up the thread color and path of the stitch line at whim was tricky but worth it.


It was a fine line between paying tribute to the original quilt and putting my own spin on it so that it wasn't simply a replica but rather an interpretation of.


A quick trip to the LQS to find the perfect brown binding (thank you Hart's  Fabric for your impressive Kona selection)- the one on the left was closest to the color used on the inspiration quilt. 


Choosing which quilt for the Festival was difficult because I really cherish those that came before.   Linking up to Fall 2014 Blogger's Quilt Festival - Small Quilt Category 

edit:  

Specs:
Started September 26, 2014
Finished October 5, 2014
Size 40x49
Kona and Cotton Couture Solids, Cotton & Steel
Bamboo Batting
Aurifil 50wt pieced and 40wt quilted
by me on my home machine, BabyLock Symphony

Previous Blogger's Quilt Festival Entries: 

Spring 2014
Giant X-Plus  - Scrappy
Rip Tide - ROYGBIV

Fall 2013
Tassels - Group/Bee

Fall 2012
Old Italian Block - Scrap/ROYGBIV/Bed

Spring 2012
Catalyst (aka Mod Mosaic) - my first time to participate 



7 comments:

  1. I really like the way this reads in solid colors - it give you the space to pause and appreciate the pattern and your color choices. The quilting also nicely echoes and reinforces that idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I really like this one ALOT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt has a kind of sparkle to it, I want to just keep looking at it. I think it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt Karen! I love the colors, layout everything! It's a real eye catcher! I picked it from all those little boxes without even knowing it was yours!! cheers, cw

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty quilt. I really like how you quilted it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this modern interpretation of an Amish style quilt. Beautifully done. Glad you persevered through that heat wave!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like he work u r doing with solids.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!